1 提幔人以利法回答說、
Then Eliphaz the Temanite replied: |
2 人豈能使 神有益呢.智慧人但能有益於己。
"Can a man be of benefit to God? Can even a wise man benefit him? |
3 你為人公義、豈叫全能者喜悅呢.你行為完全、豈能使他得利呢。
What pleasure would it give the Almighty if you were righteous? What would he gain if your ways were blameless? |
4 豈是因你敬畏他、就責備你、審判你麼。
"Is it for your piety that he rebukes you and brings charges against you? |
5 你的罪惡豈不是大麼.你的罪孽也沒有窮盡。
Is not your wickedness great? Are not your sins endless? |
6 因你無故強取弟兄的物為當頭、剝去貧寒人的衣服。
You demanded security from your brothers for no reason; you stripped men of their clothing, leaving them naked. |
7 困乏的人你沒有給他水喝.飢餓的人、你沒有給他食物。
You gave no water to the weary and you withheld food from the hungry, |
8 有能力的人、就得地土.尊貴的人、也住在其中。
though you were a powerful man, owning land--an honored man, living on it. |
9 你打發寡婦空手回去、折斷孤兒的膀臂。
And you sent widows away empty-handed and broke the strength of the fatherless. |
10 因此、有網羅環繞你、有恐懼忽然使你驚惶.
That is why snares are all around you, why sudden peril terrifies you, |
11 或有黑暗蒙蔽你、並有洪水淹沒你。
why it is so dark you cannot see, and why a flood of water covers you. |
12 神豈不是在高天麼.你看星宿何其高呢。
"Is not God in the heights of heaven? And see how lofty are the highest stars! |
13 你說、 神知道甚麼.他豈能看透幽暗施行審判呢。
Yet you say, 'What does God know? Does he judge through such darkness? |
14 密雲將他遮蓋、使他不能看見.他周遊穹蒼。
Thick clouds veil him, so he does not see us as he goes about in the vaulted heavens.' |
15 你要依從上古的道麼.這道是惡人所行的.
Will you keep to the old path that evil men have trod? |
16 他們未到死期、忽然除滅.根基毀壞、好像被江河沖去.
They were carried off before their time, their foundations washed away by a flood. |
17 他們向 神說、離開我們罷.又說、全能者能把我們怎麼樣呢。
They said to God, 'Leave us alone! What can the Almighty do to us?' |
18 那知 神以美物充滿他們的房屋.但惡人所謀定的離我好遠。
Yet it was he who filled their houses with good things, so I stand aloof from the counsel of the wicked. |
19 義人看見他們的結局就歡喜、無辜的人嗤笑他們、
"The righteous see their ruin and rejoice; the innocent mock them, saying, |
20 說、那起來攻擊我們的、果然被剪除、其餘的都被火燒滅。
'Surely our foes are destroyed, and fire devours their wealth.' |
21 你要認識 神、就得平安.福氣也必臨到你。
"Submit to God and be at peace with him; in this way prosperity will come to you. |
22 你當領受他口中的教訓、將他的言語存在心裡。
Accept instruction from his mouth and lay up his words in your heart. |
23 你若歸向全能者、從你帳棚中遠除不義、就必得建立。
If you return to the Almighty, you will be restored: If you remove wickedness far from your tent |
24 要將你的珍寶丟在塵土裡、將俄斐的黃金丟在溪河石頭之間.
and assign your nuggets to the dust, your gold of Ophir to the rocks in the ravines, |
25 全能者就必為你的珍寶、作你的寶銀。
then the Almighty will be your gold, the choicest silver for you. |
26 你就要以全能者為喜樂、向 神仰起臉來。
Surely then you will find delight in the Almighty and will lift up your face to God. |
27 你要禱告他、他就聽你.你也要還你的願。
You will pray to him, and he will hear you, and you will fulfill your vows. |
28 你定意要作何事、必然給你成就.亮光也必照耀你的路。
What you decide on will be done, and light will shine on your ways. |
29 人使你降卑、你仍可說、必得高升.謙卑的人 神必然拯救。
When men are brought low and you say, 'Lift them up!' then he will save the downcast. |
30 人非無辜、 神且要搭救他.他因你手中清潔、必蒙拯救。
He will deliver even one who is not innocent, who will be delivered through the cleanness of your hands." |