1 提幔人以利法回答说, Then Eliphaz the Temanite replied: |
2 人岂能使神有益呢?智慧人但能有益于己。 "Can a man be of benefit to God? Can even a wise man benefit him? |
3 你为人公义,岂叫全能者喜悦呢?你行为完全,岂能使他得利呢? What pleasure would it give the Almighty if you were righteous? What would he gain if your ways were blameless? |
4 岂是因你敬畏他,就责备你,审判你吗? "Is it for your piety that he rebukes you and brings charges against you? |
5 你的罪恶岂不是大吗?你的罪孽也没有穷尽。 Is not your wickedness great? Are not your sins endless? |
6 因你无故强取弟兄的物为当头,剥去贫寒人的衣服。 You demanded security from your brothers for no reason; you stripped men of their clothing, leaving them naked. |
7 困乏的人,你没有给他水喝。饥饿的人,你没有给他食物。 You gave no water to the weary and you withheld food from the hungry, |
8 有能力的人就得地土。尊贵的人也住在其中。 though you were a powerful man, owning land--an honored man, living on it. |
9 你打发寡妇空手回去,折断孤儿的膀臂。 And you sent widows away empty-handed and broke the strength of the fatherless. |
10 因此,有网罗环绕你,有恐惧忽然使你惊惶。 That is why snares are all around you, why sudden peril terrifies you, |
11 或有黑暗蒙蔽你,并有洪水淹没你。 why it is so dark you cannot see, and why a flood of water covers you. |
12 神岂不是在高天吗?你看星宿何其高呢? "Is not God in the heights of heaven? And see how lofty are the highest stars! |
13 你说,神知道什么?他岂能看透幽暗施行审判呢? Yet you say, 'What does God know? Does he judge through such darkness? |
14 密云将他遮盖,使他不能看见。他周游穹苍。 Thick clouds veil him, so he does not see us as he goes about in the vaulted heavens.' |
15 你要依从上古的道吗?这道是恶人所行的。 Will you keep to the old path that evil men have trod? |
16 他们未到死期,忽然除灭。根基毁坏,好像被江河冲去。 They were carried off before their time, their foundations washed away by a flood. |
17 他们向神说,离开我们吧。又说,全能者能把我们怎么样呢? They said to God, 'Leave us alone! What can the Almighty do to us?' |
18 哪知,神以美物充满他们的房屋。但恶人所谋定的离我好远。 Yet it was he who filled their houses with good things, so I stand aloof from the counsel of the wicked. |
19 义人看见他们的结局就欢喜。无辜的人嗤笑他们。 "The righteous see their ruin and rejoice; the innocent mock them, saying, |
20 说,那起来攻击我们的果然被剪除,其余的都被火烧灭。 'Surely our foes are destroyed, and fire devours their wealth.' |
21 你要认识神,就得平安。福气也必临到你。 "Submit to God and be at peace with him; in this way prosperity will come to you. |
22 你当领受他口中的教训,将他的言语存在心里。 Accept instruction from his mouth and lay up his words in your heart. |
23 你若归向全能者,从你帐棚中远除不义,就必得建立。 If you return to the Almighty, you will be restored: If you remove wickedness far from your tent |
24 要将你的珍宝丢在尘土里,将俄斐的黄金丢在溪河石头之间。 and assign your nuggets to the dust, your gold of Ophir to the rocks in the ravines, |
25 全能者就必为你的珍宝,作你的宝银。 then the Almighty will be your gold, the choicest silver for you. |
26 你就要以全能者为喜乐,向神仰起脸来。 Surely then you will find delight in the Almighty and will lift up your face to God. |
27 你要祷告他,他就听你。你也要还你的愿。 You will pray to him, and he will hear you, and you will fulfill your vows. |
28 你定意要作何事,必然给你成就。亮光也必照耀你的路。 What you decide on will be done, and light will shine on your ways. |
29 人使你降卑,你仍可说,必得高升。谦卑的人神必然拯救。 When men are brought low and you say, 'Lift them up!' then he will save the downcast. |
30 人非无辜,神且要搭救他。他因你手中清洁,必蒙拯救。 He will deliver even one who is not innocent, who will be delivered through the cleanness of your hands." |